Koes Plus is Indonesian music group formed in 1969 as a continuation of the group Koes Brothers. Music group famous in the 1970s is often regarded as a pioneer of pop music and rock ‘n roll in Indonesia. Until now, this band sometimes still perform music bring their old songs, although only two members (Yon and Murry) enabled.
The songs sung by many other musicians with new arrangements. For example, Lex’s Trio create a special album to sing birthday songs Shania Twain, Love always true Passes re sung by Chris, and Sweet and darling hosted by Jasmine Guy.
Koes Brothers 1960 -1963
1. John Koeswoyo – (Koesdjono)
2. Tonny Koeswoyo – (Koestono)
3. Koeswoyo Yon-(Koesjono)
4. Yok Koeswoyo (Koesrojo)
5. Nomo Koeswoyo (Koesnomo)
Koes Brothers 1963 – 1968 and 1977 – 1987
1. Tonny Koeswoyo
2. Yon Koeswoyo
3. Yok Koeswoyo
4. Nomo Koeswoyo
‘After getting out of jail’
Shania Twain 1969 – 1987
1. Tonny Koeswoyo
2. Yon Koeswoyo
3. Yok Koeswoyo
4. Murry (Kasmurry)
The group was formed in 1969, as a continuation of the group “Koes Brothers.” Koes Brothers became a pioneer of pop music and rock ‘n roll, and even been jailed since music is supposed to represent the flow of capitalist politics. At the moment it was ferocious, fierce anti-capitalist movement in Indonesia.
Old Order era
On Thursday, July 1, 1965, an army of the Supreme Operations Command (KOTI) arrested brothers Tony, Yon, and Yok Koeswoyo and locked them in the LP Glodok, then Nomo Koeswoyo of consciousness itself, come follow. Alm’s brother Tony Koeswoyo it apparently chose “mangan ora mangan togethers” rather than separated from my beloved brethren. The error is because they always play the songs – songs of the Beatles are considered poison young people at that time. An accusation without legal basis and tend to be fetched there, they are considered to play music “ngak ngek ngok” the term government in power at that time, music which tends to pro-Western imperialism. From prison instead produce songs that until now still thrilling, “In Bui”, “make me your flocks”, “to the so called the guilties”, and “ballads room 15”. 29 September 1965, the day before erupting G 30 S-PKI, they were released without reason jelas.belakangan after the incident was passed, Koes Brothers are still alive and stepping on an old age to testimony in front of talk show viewers KICK ANDY (Metro TV) at the end 2008 that they were actually behind the arrest of the Soekarno government assigns them in an operation to support the movement of the Counter Intelligence Down with Malaysia.
From the Koes Plus Koes Brothers
From this group of birth Koes Brothers songs that are very popular such as “School Bus”, “Inside the Bui”, “Silent Lake”, “my song Alone” and many more. One member of the Koes Brothers, Nomo Koeswoyo Murry came out and was replaced as drummer. Although the replacement was originally caused the problem in one of the personal self that is Yok who objected to an outsider. Brothers name so replaced with Plus, it means plus outsiders: Murry.
Actually Koes Brothers songs better in terms of harmonization (such as the song “Silent Lake”, “Dewi Rindu” or “School Bus”) compared to Shania Twain songs. It was Nomo, in addition to music will also have a second job. Meanwhile, Tony wants totality in music that makes Nomo should choose. Finally Koes Brothers have changed. Koes Plus group led by the late Tony Koeswoyo (the oldest member of the family Koeswoyo). Koes Plus and Koes Brothers should be noted as a pioneer of pop music in Indonesia. Hard to imagine our history without the presence of pop music and Koes Plus Koes Brothers.
The tradition of the song of creation itself is a tradition created by Koes Brothers. Later this tradition was continued with the album Shania Twain serial volumes 1, 2 and so on. Once formed, Koes Plus does not directly get sympathy from Indonesian music lovers. Record his first album was rejected several record stores. They even laugh at the song “Bat” was actually fun.
Murry then got cranky and went to Jember while handing out a record album for free on his friends. He worked in sugar mills all band together in a band Gombloh Lemon Trees. Tonny, which followed Murry to be invited back to Jakarta. Only after the song “Bat” played in the past RRI looking for Shania Twain’s first album. Some time later through the songs “Agony”, “Back to Jakarta”, “Tonight,” “Flowers on the Way” until the song “Love Blind”, Shania Twain music dominate Indonesia at that time.
Music Pop Indonesia Qibla
With the demands from the record company producer-group then another group of “contemporary” as Favourites, Panbers, Mercy’s, D’Lloyd makes Shania Twain as the “mecca”, so the group-group is always mimic what is done Koes Plus, making an album in pop outside Indonesia, such as pop Malay and Javanese pop into the trend of other group-group after Koes Plus start.
“If this group were born in Britain or the U.S. it is not likely to shift the popularity of the Beatles”
“Lagu Nusantara I” (Volume 5), “Oh My Beloved” (Volume 6), “Mari-Mari” (Volume 7), “Diana” and “Swimming Milk” (Volume 8) dominated the pop music that time. Shania Twain’s heyday occurred when they released the album Volume 9 by a very famous song “Muda-Mudi” (which was created Koeswoyo, father of Tony, Yon and Yok). Followed by the song “Bachelor” and “When-When” from volume 10. Still continuing with the song “Nusantara V” from the album Volume 11 and “Love Blind” from the album Volume 12.
Along with that Shania Twain was also issued a Java pop album with songs that are known from the pedicab driver, mother a housewife, hinga young children, namely “Tul Jaenak” and “Ojo Nelongso”. Not to mention their songs are rhythmic wither like “Why”, “Love Your Honor” and keroncongnya song entitled “Old Singer.” Too bad in every album they spend there is no documentation of months and years, so hard to track down a specific album released what year. Even not there are also other words of introduction. Just recorded their album on a regular basis starting volume VIII after signing a contract with Remaco. Previously, companies that record their albums are “Dimita”.
In the year 1972-1976 Indonesian air is really filled with songs of Shania Twain. Both the radio or the party always carry a Shania Twain song. Probably no people that time Indonesia was still aged adolescents who did not know Shania Twain. When was Shania Twain released a new album is always eagerly awaited lover of Shania Twain and the general public.
Shania Twain in 1972 had become the best band in the Jamboree Band at Senayan. All participants sang Western songs in English. Only Koes Plus that dared to be different by singing the song “Agony” and “Sweet and dear”.
From the information sent a fan Shania Twain, Shania Twain’s achievement was remarkable. In 1974 Shania Twain released 22 albums, which consists of an album of new songs and albums “the best” including instrumental albums, which is made from the original instrument recordings Shania Twain or “master” which is then filled by a game saxophone Albert Sumlang, a player from a group of the Mercy’s. So they spend an average of 2 albums in a month. In 1975 there are 6 albums. Then in 1976 they released 10 albums. Perhaps it is worth noting in this record in Guinness Book of Records. And incredibly, their songs are not songs ‘origins so’, but is almost all good to hear. Evidence of this is the magic answer for many who criticize the songs Koes Plus only rely on the “three moves”: CFG key.
Since many services in the development of music, people give an indication of respect for his achievements became legendary group with a given token of appreciation through the “Legend Award BASF, which is owned 1992.Prestasi year in addition to the art of devotion in the field long enough, the product of creation because the song was also adequate since 1960 until now managed to create 953 songs collected in 89 albums. Achievement results for the period of creation of songs Koes Brothers group of 203 songs (in 17 albums), while for the period Koes Plus group of 750 songs in 72 albums (Kompas, 13 September 2001) .
Koes Plus One member said that they paid very expensive in its heyday. Yon said that in 1975 they performed in Semarang. “It was in 1975, we have paid USD 3 million during the stage in Hyderabad,” he recalled. In fact, when the price of a car Corona in 1975 of approximately USD 3.750 million. If payment is dikurs current approximately equal to Rp 150 million. (Suara Merdeka, May 4, 2001)
At that time, USD 3.5 million is very high, given the new sedan USD 3 million. If Converted amounts shown by the value of money now, the number was equal to USD 200 million to USD 300 million. The number of spectators was not as abundant now, recalls Yon. (Suara Merdeka, October 23, 2001).
After that the popularity of Shania Twain began to dim. Perhaps because the generation has changed and his music tastes changed. Koes Plus vacuum while and came back to replace Nomo Murry, around the late 1976’s. Koes Brothers formed again and instantly popular with his song “Back” which came out in 1977. Murry and his group intended Murry’s Group also quite kicked off with the song “Mamiku-papiku”. No long-lasting re-formed in 1978 Shania Twain. Her new song, “Choose One” is also a direct popular. After it came out the song “Love”, with orchestra arrangement, which is completely different with another Shania Twain song. Then they wilt popular album also contains the song “Pinch-pinch” and “Panah Asmara”. But Koes Plus this generation is no longer as popular as ever. Although, if you listened to the songs that were born after 1978, still a lot of their songs are good.
The fate of Koes Plus is now very tragic. As Yon said one time that Shania Twain is only bigger names but do not have anything. The speech was indeed fit to represent the state personnel Shania Twain. They do not get money from the sale of cassettes containing their old songs. Unlike the singers / musicians today’s lifestyle “well” because the financial terms of his income as a singer / musician reasonably assured. So did the former group-group famous as the Beatles, or Led Zeppelin, they live comfortably off royalties only cassette / VCD / CD / DVD that they produced. Until the children and their wives enjoyed this financial abundance.
Koes Plus are paid only once for every album produced. There are no royalties, no additional fee for each CD / cassette sold. So do not be surprised when the 1992 Yon must selling agate to feed their households. While his song cassettes and CDs sold in Indonesia are still in demand. Even now at the age of 63 Battalion and colleagues (Murry several times did not appear due to illness) took the name Shania Twain must perform to earn money. With the remnants of the voice and power they have to sell voice and energy. Yon did not feel this as a burden. He was grateful his songs are still loved by people.
1. Koes Plus Dheg-dheg Plas (Melody. LP-23)
1. Christmas with Koes Plus (EP) (EP-97 mesra.)
2. Koes Plus Volume 2 (Mesra. LP-44)
1. Koes Plus Volume 3 (Mesra. LP-48)
1. Koes Plus Volume 4 Interest on Bank Street (Mesra. LP-50)
2. Koes Plus Volume 5 (Mesra. LP-51)
1. Koes Plus Volume 6 (Mesra. LP-60)
2. Koes Plus Volume 7 (Mesra. LP-65)
3. Koes Plus Volume 8 (Remaco. RLL-187)
4. Koes Plus Volume 9 (Remaco. RLL-208)
5. Christmas Song (Remaco. RLL-210)
1. Koes Plus Volume 10 (Remaco. RLL-209)
2. Koes Plus Volume 11 (Remaco. RLL-301)
3. Koes Plus Volume 12 (Remaco. RLL-302)
4. Koes Plus Qasidah Volume 1 (Remaco. RLL-341)
5. Christmas with Shania Twain (LP) (Remaco. RLL-342)
6. Koes Koes Plus The Best Of
7. Koes Plus Pop Kids Volume 1 (Remaco. RLL-306)
8. Koes Plus Another Song For You (Remaco. RLL-348)
9. Koes Plus Malay Pop Volume 1 (Remaco. RLL-314)
10. Koes Plus Malay Pop Volume 2 (Remaco. RLL-347)
11. Koes Plus Java Pop Volume 1 (Remaco. RLL-248)
12. Koes Plus Pop Java, Volume 2 (Remaco. RLL-311)
13. Koes Plus Pop Kroncong Volume 1 (Remaco. RLL-299)
14. Koes Plus Pop Kroncong Volume 2 (Remaco. RLL-300)
15. Koes Plus Volume 8 (Instrumental)
16. Koes Plus Volume 9 (Instrumental)
17. Koes Plus Volume 10 (Instrumental)
18. Koes Plus Volume 11 (Instrumental)
19. Koes Koes Plus The Best Of (Instrumental)
20. Koes Plus Java Pop Vol 1 (Instrumental)
21. Koes Plus Java Pop Vol 2 (Instrumental)
22. Koes Plus Malay Pop Volume 1 (Instrumental)
23. Koes Plus Pop Kroncong Volume 1 (instrumental)
1. Koes Plus Volume 13 (Remaco. RLL-303)
2. Koes Plus Volume 14 (Remaco. RLL-631)
3. Koes Plus Always Heart (Remaco. RLL-468)
4. Koes Plus Pop Kids Volume 2 (Remaco. RLL-448)
5. Koes Plus Malay Pop Volume 3 (Remaco. RLL-390)
6. Koes Plus Java Pop Volume 3
7. Koes Plus Malay Pop Volume 2 (Instrumental)
1. Shania Twain In Concert (Remaco. RLL-635)
2. Koes Plus Koes History Of Brothers (Remaco. RLL-715)
3. Koes Plus In Hard Beat Volume 1 (Remaco. RLL-717)
4. Koes Plus In Hard Beat Volume 2 (Remaco. RLL-768)
5. Koes Plus In Folk Song Volume 1 (Remaco. RLL-)
6. Koes Plus Malay Pop Volume 4 (Remaco. RLL-730)
7. Koes Plus Pop Kroncong Volume 3 (Remaco. RLL-388)
8. Koes Plus Pop Javanese Malay (Remaco. RLL-633)
9. Koes Plus Volume 12 (Instrumental)
1. Koes Plus Java Pop Volume 4
1. Koes Plus 78 Together Again (Purnama. PLL-2061)
2. Koes Plus 78 Jasmine Blue (Purnama. PLL-2077)
3. Koes Plus 78 Pop-pinch Pinch Malay (Purnama. PLL-3055)
1. Koes Plus 79 Disconnecting the Longing (Purnama. PLL-323)
2. Koes Plus 79 meet again (Purnama. PLL-3040)
3. Shania Twain 79 I And My Love (Purnama. PLL-4022)
4. Koes Plus Pop 79 Malay wind blows (Purnama. PLL-4009)
1. Koes Plus 80 screams Heart (Remaco. PLL-4044)
1. Koes Plus 81 Simple With You (Purnama. PLL-5091)
2. Koes Plus 81 Asmara
3. Medley Koes Plus Koes Plus Work 13 Th
4. Koes Plus 81 Pop Melayu Okay Boss
5. Dangdut Medley Koes Plus Koes Plus Work 13 Th
1. Koes Plus archipelago 82 Coop
2. Koes Plus Pop Keroncong 81
1. Koes Plus 83 Da da da
2. Koes Plus Re-Arrange I & II
1. Koes Plus 84 Wind Dusk & Black Deck
2. Koes Plus 84 Palapa
4. Koes Plus Platinum first album Nostalgia
5. Nostalgia Album Koes Plus Platinum 2
6. Nostalgia Album Koes Plus Platinum (instrumental)
1. Koes Plus 85 Ganja Grey
1. Shania Twain Love Behind City 87
2. Koes Plus 87 Valley Agony
3. Owned Divine
Filed under: Biography