In a guide book that reproduced by World Vision Indonesia, listed 45 myths and facts about breastfeeding. Want to know? This is the myth (M) and the fact (F) is
* M: Breastfeeding causes sagging breasts. F: Breast sagging is caused by increasing age and pregnancy.
* M: Breasts that are small, can not produce much milk. F: small or large breasts together to produce more milk.
* M: Breast with nipples sunset can not breastfeed. F: Putting sunset does not mean not to breastfeed, because the baby suckling at the breast, not on the nipple.
* M: The first milk (yellowish) is not good for the baby. F: the first milk (colostrum) is the best substance for the baby.
* M: Colostrum / breast milk first is stale. F: Colostrum contains immune substances and proteins are very rich.
* M: exclusive breastfeeding is not allowed to provide food, others may. F: exclusive breastfeeding means giving only breast milk alone, others may not.
* M: exclusive breastfeeding means should not give formula, others may. F: exclusive breastfeeding is only allowed to give only breast milk, others may not.
* M: exclusive breastfeeding can not be done if the mother works. F: I work remained to give exclusive breastfeeding.
* M: Up to age 6 months, breastmilk alone is not enough for the baby. F: All the needs of the baby until 6 months of age are met by breast milk alone.
* M: Bananas can cure diarrhea in infants. F: solid food can not be processed by the gut infants to age 6 months.
* M: Bananas can clean the baby’s intestines. F: Bananas can not clean the baby’s intestines, but damaging, because the baby’s intestines are not able to process food until age 6 months.
* M: Milk formula is as good as breastmilk. F: There is no any other liquids that could replace breast milk.
* M: Milk formula makes babies healthier. F: Only if it is given exclusively breastfed until 6 months which makes babies healthier.
* M: For the development of the brain, milk formula better than breast milk. F: Breast milk contains AA / DHA that is essential for brain growth.
* M: The combination of breast milk and formula is best for babies. F: It’s best for infants to age 6 months is only receiving breast milk alone.
* M: If milk is not or is not smooth can be replaced with formula milk. F: If milk is not or is not smooth, the baby still has the endurance of the body (do not go hungry) to 2×24 hours from birth, which is carried in the womb.
* M: If the milk has not come out, there’s no point in feeding the baby. F: If milk is not or is not smooth, the baby still has the endurance of the body (do not go hungry) to 2×24 hours from birth, which is carried in the womb.
* M: While milk has not come out, the baby can be given formula milk or honey. F: Delivery of food other than breast milk increases the risk of disruption to your baby’s intestines are still not ready.
* M: So the baby is not yellow and has no fever, can be given food or other beverages before the milk out. F: Infants who have received a lot of yellow sun in the morning and more often breast-fed.
* M: If the baby continued to cry her breast milk means less. F: Baby crying is not necessarily hungry.
* M: Mothers who drink lots of milk, would produce much milk. F: Number of milk produced is not affected by food or beverages consumed by the mother. The more often the baby feeds the more milk produced.
* M: To generate a lot of milk, my mother had a lot to eat vegetables. F: The more often the baby suckles, the more milk produced.
* M: If the mother is sick, the baby will be infected through breast milk. F: When sakita, the mother’s body to make immune substances which are also distributed to infants through breast milk so the baby will not get sick.
* M: Mothers who lack vitamin unable to breastfeed her baby. M: Mothers who are skinny even still be able to produce much milk as long as frequent breastfeeding.
* M: Breastfeeding should not be done while lying down. F: Breastfeeding can be done while standing, sitting or lying down.
* M: Infants who are ill should not be fed. F: Babies who are sick should be more frequent breast-fed.
* M: Provision of water to the newborn until the age of 6 months will not hurt. F: Delivery of water to the newborn until the age of 6 months will only meet the baby’s stomach, thereby reducing the space for much needed baby milk.
* M: A newborn needs to be given water for tea has the power. F: Delivery of tea water to a newborn until the age of 6 months will only meet the baby’s stomach, thereby reducing the space for much needed baby milk.
* M: After giving birth, mothers are too tired to be able to breastfeed the baby. F: Except in emergencies, new mothers can breastfeed their babies immediately, hugging and nursing infants are painkillers and feeling tired mother.
* M: New born baby can not feed themselves. F: Babies have a strong instinct for seeking the nipple within the first hour after birth.
* M: milk has not come out on the first day after birth. F: Although not painful, colostrum (first milk), will exit immediately after birth. The amount is small, but adequate for the needs of the baby.
* M: There is no point in feeding the baby since birth. F: Colostrum is a fluid rich in immune substances and other vital substances that must-have baby. Babies who breast-feeding would directly stimulate fast milk out.
* M: Infants should be wrapped and warmed under the lights for two hours after birth. F: Babies are not chicks. The warmth of baby’s best obtained through the baby’s skin to skin contact the mother, because the warmth of the mother’s body to adjust to the needs of the baby. Baby skin to skin contact mothers make milk come out faster.
* M: ASI first / colostrum is very little, so that the baby is hungry and crying. F: The first milk a little, but enough to meet the baby’s stomach which can only be filled as much as 4 tsp.
* M: Babies cry, certainly because of hunger. F: Infant crying can be caused because they feel uncomfortable, insecure, feeling sick, and so on, not necessarily hungry.
* M: Babies cry because of hunger needs to be given food or other beverages. F: If the baby is hungry, give milk again. Often fed babies will not make a hungry baby.
* M: Breastfeeding is important is that white fluid. F: colostrum / milk first (yellow / no color) is the most important breast milk to give immunity to the baby. White milk is the most important for the baby’s needs until the first 6 months.
* M: Baby cold and need dibedong. F: A newborn is easily chilled, so that should be embraced skin to skin contact, given the cap, and mothers with baby covered. Bedong baby is too tight will make it more cold.
* M: Lack of available health personnel so that baby can not be allowed to suckle their own. F: My husband’s mother or family members can help Early Initiation of Breastfeeding.
* M: Chamber of maternity or busy operating room so the baby needs to be separated from his mother. F: While busy, the mother can do Early Initiation of Breastfeeding (IMD).
* M: I have sewn so that the baby needs to be separated from his mother. F: While the stitching, the mother still be able to implement the IMD.
* M: Infants should be given vitamin K injections and eye drops immediately after birth. F: True, but can be delayed for 1 hour until the baby is finished feeding early.
* M: Infants should be cleaned immediately after birth. F: Delayed 1 hour will not change the baby’s weight and height.
* M: Health workers have not agreed on the importance of giving a chance IMD in infants born by cesarean section. F: Maybe, but it is the parents duty to defend the rights of the baby. The health worker can be given an explanation, and husbands or family members to persuade baby to be left to IMD.
* M: I have not been able to sit / sit sideways to give milk. F: Who require sitting? The baby can suckle at the mother’s chest tengkuran.
Filed under: Lifestyle and Travelling |